What You Need To Know About Maintaining Overhead Lifts
Overhead lifts are an excellent tool for assisting temporary or permanently disabled individuals and their caregivers throughout their day. These lifts allow a single caregiver to assist in moving a patient or family member alone without the need of a team to lift them. It is very important to keep these lifts in top working order so a routine of checks and maintenance will extend their life for years.
When it comes to general maintenance there are checks that should be taken each time the system is used. Most lift systems will have a lift maintenance counter that will help to remind you of the importance of regular checks to ensure the safety of all involved.
Additionally there are monthly and yearly checks that should be done as well to ensure the system is in proper working order for the long term.
Before Each Use
Conduct a visual inspection of the ceiling lift and track to be sure it is suitable for use. If any part of your visual inspection fails, do not use the lift. Check the following:
- Ensure the lift tape has no fraying
- Inspect the lift tape stitching, for no signs of fraying
- Inspect the sling for any signs of fraying, tearing or wear
- Ensure the air tubes are properly connected nor kinked or damaged
- Inspect the hand controller, testing all buttons
- Visually inspect the tracks
- Check for cuts, dents, or sharp edges on the carry bar
- Confirm that the end caps are in place
There are several things that you should inspect every month as well. Make a thorough inspection of each of the suggested daily steps.
- Remove the sling from the lift.
- Inspect that the lift moves freely and smoothly around the entire track
Yearly checks should be done by qualified technicians. In the case of heavier clients, it is suggested that you conduct yearly checks semi-annually.
- All steps of Daily Use and Monthly checks should be observed
- A Ceiling Lift test should be passed and any repairs should be addressed and completed
Should problems arise or if you ever discover issues in your lift systems in any of the daily, monthly or yearly checks, you should immediately cease use and operation and contact your authorized dealer for service.
If you have any issues or concerns with your overhead lift please contact us, and we will be more than happy to assist you.